Suggestion other actions: WOL

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Hi,

Wake on lan will be a very usefull addition.

regards,

Corné

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I agree and I've thought about it. The main reason why I haven't included it so far is that WOL requires MAC address, but the tool currently handles computer names. Of course one option is to resolve MAC addresses based on computer name from SCCM database but it would make things more complex. The concept of the tool has always been simplicity. Adding WOL action also will require additional program in the package as this can't be done purely with scripting language - namely WOL.exe I suppose.

Anyway, I added this request to issue tracker and will look into this whether it's reasonable to implement or not.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Ok, I have added "Wake On LAN" action. It's currently available in source code section as change set 10469. It will be a feature in v0.8 which will be released soon.

WOL.EXE from Gammadyne Corporation has been included with SCCM CAT. This program is used to send wake-up packets to remote clients.

The SCCM CAT target list can contain any of the following:

• Computer names
  • MAC addresses in format: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
  • MAC addresses in format: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX

In order to use computer names, the SCCM site server must be specified. Then the tool will query MAC addresses from SCCM database.

Wiki documentation will be updated soon.